Today marks the beginning of the fiscal year 2019 and some taxes in Washington DC are going up.
As the old saying goes; the only thing for certain in life is death and taxes. For residents of the nation’s capital; the latter is most certainly true today. As the fiscal year starts, a number of taxes in Washington DC are going up.
Here’s what is affected:
- The general sales tax is increasing by a quarter of a percentage point to 6%
- The tax charged on beer, malt liquor and wine sold at stores will be increasing by the same amount, to 10.25%
- Taxes on cigarettes are also increasing, from $2.94 up to $4.94 per pack.
- Not a tax, but the legal age to purchase tobacco products is increasing from 18 to 21.
- The tax rate on other tobacco products like e-cigarettes is increasing from 60% to 96% of wholesale sales.
At the same time, the city DID remove one tax. Sales tax will now be exempt from feminine hygiene products such as pads and tampons.
Washington, D.C. is known as having a high cost of living relative to other parts of the country. Of course, it’s far from the worst either. For example, lets use City vs City to compare the cost of living between another high-cost city; San Francisco.
As expensive as Washington D.C. may be; San Francisco presents a higher cost of living in almost every aspect. Taxes in Washington DC may be high, but have you seen California lately?
Around the country, cost of living varies widely. If the taxes in Washington DC are enough to make you cringe; it may be time to consider moving. Of course, you’ll want to know what you’re getting yourself into before you move and that’s where City vs City can help.
As illustrated in the video above, City vs City allows you to compare costs between two cities of your choosing. Simply input your data, select your zip codes, and let City vs City go to work.
Using City vs City’s powerful technology, you’ll see a side by side comparison of costs. As a result, you’ll know which city can offer you a better cost of living situation. If you’re thinking of moving, don’t make a move without downloading City vs City first.