It seems like every week there’s a new piece of cost of living news to digest. Of course, the most important aspect of cost of living is, well, the cost. More importantly, which cities are costing more than ever these days?
A recent Business Insider report looked at the cost of living in major American cities. Specifically, which cities are getting more expensive for the American middle class. Here’s the cost of living news for the 20 cities where cost is increasing the fastest.
20. Houston, Texas (+23.45% from 2017)
19. Detroit, Michigan (+23.57% from 2017)
18. Phoenix, Arizona (+23.69% from 2017)
17. Indianapolis, Indiana (+23.97% from 2017)
16. Denver, Colorado (+23.98% from 2017)
15. El Paso, Texas (+24.15% from 2017)
14. Anaheim, California (+25.24% from 2017)
13. Jacksonville, Florida (+25.72% from 2017)
12. Albuquerque, New Mexico (+25.77% from 2017)
11. Mesa, Arizona (+25.81% from 2017)
10. San Antonio, Texas (+26.76% from 2017)
9. Wichita, Kansas (+26.81% from 2017)
8. Sacramento, California (+26.93% from 2017)
7. Virginia Beach, Virginia (+28.34% from 2017)
6. Fort Worth, Texas (+29.44% from 2017)
5. Arlington, Texas (+30.53% from 2017)
4. Fresno, California (+31.29% from 2017)
3. Columbus, Ohio (+31.48% from 2017)
2. Austin, Texas (+33.92% from 2017)
And The Winner Is….
If this cost of living news isn’t a bombshell, we don’t know what is. Number one on the list of cities where cost of living has increased the most from last year is:
Colorado Springs, Colorado
In Colorado Springs, the cost of living jumped 35.61% over 2017.
What Impacts Cost of Living?
Cost of living is affected by a number of factors. The price and availability of housing, state and local taxes, and more. Thankfully, City vs City takes all of that into account when determining expenses.
If you’d like to get a closer look at your cost of living expenses, download City vs City! Our app uses real data curated at the zip code level to determine your real cost of living. Simply input your zip code and your information and let City vs City do the rest.
What’s more, you can compare your city with another city to see which one comes out ahead. Simply select another zip code to compare with and you’ll see a side by side breakdown of costs.
Check out the video below for a quick demonstration: